The goal of both Palliative and Hospice care is to improve the quality of life of the patients diagnosed with a life-limiting illness. Although Palliative care is available for any patient with a life-limiting illness, Hospice care is available to those with a prognosis of six months or less. While both hospice and palliative care are beneficial to the patients. Unfortunately, many do not look into this care option until their loved one has only weeks or days left, as they think that it means giving up hope.
There are many benefits of receiving Hospice and Palliative Care Orem early instead of later, so let’s take a look at these benefits:
- Hospice and Palliative care are provided by a team of experts from different professions, and they have one common goal, and that is to improve the quality of life of the patient. This team of professionals includes physicians, nurses, social workers, aides, spiritual counselors, volunteers, and more. They all come together to ensure that your loved one is comfortable and safe.
- Receiving hospice or palliative care early improves the quality of life of the patients greatly. The focus is on decreasing symptoms and managing pain, so the patient can experience an improved quality of life. And when patients decide to receive this care early, they feel better and do better. This care plan can even prolong life in the patients if they decide to receive early and at the right time.
- Palliative care can be received alongside curative treatment, and studies suggest that patients who receive palliative care with curative treatment experience a better quality of life while they receive the treatment.
- Both Palliative and Hospice Care Orem focuses on managing and relieving the patient’s pain and symptoms. The goal is to provide comfort rather than focusing on the curative treatment, although curative treatment can also be continued for those patients receiving Palliative care.
- It can be received anywhere, whether it is at the comfort of the home, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, or even senior living homes. So, if the patient does not like visiting hospitals, they do not have to, as it can be received anywhere depending on the preference of the patient.
- Such care providers also extend their services to the family members in the form of bereavement even after the patient passes. These experts help educate the patient and the family members about the grieving process and help them come to terms with their loved one’s passing.
- The team of hospice and palliative care providers provides hands-on care to the patient and the family members. They also provide emotional support and help them get through this difficult time. The family members do not have to worry about not being able to provide the level of care their loved one needs.
- Many people take hospice & palliative care as the last stage of terminal illness, which is one of the main reasons why people seek hospice and palliative care too late. But if you begin early, you will see an improvement, a better quality of life, and perhaps, even prolonged life.
- When a patient begins receiving hospice and palliative care early, the care providers can better manage the pain and symptoms better and the tailored care plan will be more effective. Since the team of care providers has had some months to provide the care, they have a better understanding of what’s working and what isn’t. So, they can provide more effective care.
- When a patient receives hospice and palliative care early, they will not have to visit the hospital and go to ER often as they would have if they do not receive hospice care. Instead of visiting the hospital, they can receive care at the comfort of their home and surround by family members and loved ones.
There are many benefits of receiving Hospice and Palliative care early for patients diagnosed with a life-limiting illness.